Head of Tax and Alternative Investments
Frédéric is managing partner and oversees the tax and alternative investments’ practice of the firm. His expertise covers international tax structuring (both direct and indirect, also covering transfer pricing). Frédéric is also highly experienced managing corporate and personal wealth tax planning.
Having advised a wide array of complex international transactions, Frédéric’s experience also includes corporate implementations, complex institutional structured finance, alternative financing and complex asset structuring such as alternative investments, investing pools, joint venture investments, private equity, and debt management, with a strong focus on real estate, infrastructures and debt.
Frédéric fully understands the intricate nature of any financial situation that may present itself. We like to describe Frédéric as one of the few lawyers who can actually “speak the language of numbers,” and has the unique ability to understand a transaction’s business rationale and financial background in order to tailor made the best legal solution.
Frédéric has worked in major international law firms all over Europe, including Paris, Poland, and Luxembourg.
Having been in Luxembourg since 2004, he has worked for several years in the tax department of a magic circle law firm, where he has been responsible for advising clients with regards to real estate funds, structured finance and private equity.
He then transitioned to the director and head of alternative and structured finance departments for a major tax advisory firm as well as the managing partner for the Luxembourg office of a well-known French law firm and was also in charge of the firm’s tax and real estate practice.
Results-Driven Track Record
Over the last ten (10) months, Frédéric has participated in advising (structuring, design, implementation, financing) clients on the structuring or restructuring of the following (list is not exhaustive):
- A EUR 450 mio restructuring in relation to a prime real estate building in Paris for Asia-based institutions;
- A GBP 450 GBP mio prime real estate office in London for Asia-based institutional investors in London;
- A GBP 500 mio orphan structure through Luxembourg for the financing of United Kingdom real estate;
- A USD 200 mio restructuring of a industrial group owned financing platform in Luxembourg;
- A EUR 220 mio family owned group restructuring including multiple mergers and related reorganizations.
Other transactions have included the following:
- A EUR 95 mio Infrastructure bond investment structure in relation with Spain;
- Review of service level agreements of a bank group with several entities in Luxembourg from a VAT perspective;
- Design of an asset backed cryptocurrency refinancing platform through Luxembourg;
- Design of a real asset-backed cryptocurrency issuance structure.
Education and Admissions
- French / German Master’s degree in International Business and Tax Law, Strasbourg, France, 2000.
- LL.M in Business and Tax Law, Munich Maximilian University, Germany, 1999.
- Master (business law) and Bachelor law degrees, University of Paris II (Assas), France.
- Admitted to the Luxembourg Bar from 2004.
- Admitted to the Paris Bar since 2001.
- Member of the International Fiscal Association.
Recognition and Accolades
Frédéric has been recognized for his excellence for four consecutive years by Legal 500, with portions of such professional accolades as follows:
- Recommended by Legal 500 in 2015 as tax expert in Luxembourg, Frédéric is described therein as “excellent at real estate-related tax issues” and capable of providing “an impeccable service to fund clients on tax structuring issues”.
- Recommended by Legal 500 in 2016 as tax expert in Luxembourg, led by the ‘solutions-oriented, creative and thorough’ Frédéric Dupont [is] ‘comfortable with complex cross-border investment structures’ and has a particular focus on alternative investment within the real estate sector.
- Recommended by Legal 500 in 2017 in the tax category, with praise including, “The ‘excellent’ Frédéric Dupont … excels in international tax law, on a standalone advisory capacity and in the context of M&A transactions and restructuring”.
- Recommended by Legal 500 in 2018 in the tax category, “Frédéric Dupont has an excellent reputation in relation to the accompanying tax structuring aspects of alternative investment funds”.
36th IBA International Financial Law Conference
Dupont Partners, represented by its founding partner Peter-Jan Bossuyt, head of banking and restructuring, will be present at the 36th IBA International Financial Law Conference in Berlin from 14 May to 17 May. It will be a great pleasure to catch up with old friends and meet peers from other jurisdictions and introduce them to […]
NPL INVESTMENTS THROUGH LUXEMBOURG STRUCTURES
Peter-Jan Bossuyt, head of our Banking and Restructuring practice, will attend the European NPL summit in Stockholm on 21 & 22 March 2019, and speak on the Western European panel and particular about the various Luxembourg structures available to invest in NPLs. Attached is additional info on the NPL summit.
Luxembourg Financial Sector Brexit Emergency Law
On 31 January 2019 the Luxembourg government proposed a so-called “Brexit Urgency bill” in order to address, during a fixed period, any serious disruptions in Luxembourg in case of a no-deal/hard Brexit.